The neighborhoods choose us. We only ask that there is enough density of kids,
a community organization we can partner with to set up shop and resources to get started.
Southwest Brilliant Home: 5675 Larkins Street Detroit, MI 48210 313-483-8992
Southwest is one of Detroit’s most culturally-rich and vibrant communities, with strong schools, strong families, and groups of supporters who cater to the needs of children and families. This neighborhood is very welcoming, and though there are some challenges, neighbors work together on solutions and improvements. This location is also the home office for the Brilliant Detroit team, and serves as a hub for a host of programming and pilots to test for network-wide implementation.
Central Detroit Brilliant Home: 803 Hazelwood Detroit, MI 48202 313-600-6700
History, beauty, and charm depicts Detroit’s North-End area, which has historically been one of the most attractive areas of the city-featuring large homes that are full of character. The area is just minutes away from a rapidly transforming midtown and downtown, and these neighbors are creating transformations of their own in this neighborhood. North-End neighbors have grit, a spirit of entrepreneurship, and a sense of family. This neighborhood is constantly evolving, and innovation is welcomed and embraced.
Cody Rouge Brilliant Home: 7425 Fielding Detroit, MI 48228 313-483-8986
Warrendale is one of Detroit’s largest neighborhoods, lined with small businesses, schools and resilient neighbors. Brick bungalows and charming yards are common in the area, with neighbors that care about their homes and community. In recent years, Warrendale has faced challenges, and neighbors are proactive in creating change and moving the neighborhood forward through revitalizing efforts, radio patrols to reduce crime, and welcoming the efforts of Brilliant Detroit-not to mention creating urban gardens.
Osborn Brilliant Home: 13800 Eastburn Street, Detroit, MI 48205 313-332-1069
Families in the Osborn neighborhood are deeply engaged in making sure their children have everything they need to be successful. Osborn saw a particularly large decrease in children and families over the last 20 years, but despite these losses many neighbors have continued to stand together through a series of block clubs and community organizations. The challenges and ever-present resilience of this neighborhood has attracted numerous revitalization efforts to board up vacant houses, renovate schools, and recognize the vibrant Osborn art scene. In the months prior to acquiring a house in Osborn, Brilliant Detroit worked with a dedicated and passionate group of volunteers who hit the streets everyday, looking for leads on a house that could one day sport the famous orange doors.
1. We evaluate and explore a kid success ready neighborhood with community input and survey partner organizations active in the area.
5. We conduct a goal setting meeting with each family so they maintain control of their success and outline the path forward.
2. We invite community members to neighborhood listening sessions to learn what the needs and interests are of the community.
6. We encourage families along their path! Families begin programming and take advantage of services provided by partner organizations based on the goals they set.
3. We accept the call! After being invited into the neighborhood, we renovate a house to make it welcoming and friendly, including adding a community garden and play space.
7. We provide on-site volunteering and social opportunities to active participants and community members.
4. We organize with the community! After renovation, the community helps us organize and invites neighbors to join in the movement.
8. We work with partner organizations to collect data and facilitate a rigorous evaluation to learn the success and opportunities related to the effort.